Wednesday, October 15, 2008

ugh, the love hate of being in your 20's

so i appreciate my youth, this oh so fleeting time that i am allowed to make selfish decisions. however i feel because our generation IS allowed to CHOOSE school or no school, career or starving artist, dreams or social obligation...it leaves us running around in circles.
yes OF COURSE i am thankful for the opportunity to CHOOSE.
but i am pretty sure i do not know one person my age who has FOUND 'IT'.
at the same time, that is one of the complications that make up our age demographic that has given me the chance to 'try out' many different 'suits' (if you will).
i have worn the retail 'suit' for almost 2 and half years.
and i am questioning it.
or am i questioning my motives for putting on that suit...
i would go far as to question my lack of motivation?
i now find myself reaching back for that expensive accomplishment called a degree.
i have officially done nothing with it since i graduated.
i knew full well that i was going to take a break from anything remotely academic for a few years.
its been a few years.
what shall it be next...
im leaning towards nursing school.
i just don't know if i have it in me AGAIN.
but what if i did something with one of my natural giftings?
like cooking...
not that i am terrific, but i could be...
what if i went to a cooking school?
and if i was going to pacific northwest would be perfect!
or what if i did something with event planning...
i know i like that.
i have done many an event in the last few years.
or what if i just played around and took some theology classes...

see what i mean about these circles?
the demon of choice is doing a number on this gal.


3 comments:

Kim said...

Do what you love! Whether that be cooking for a living, studying theology or becoming a nurse!

I have heard those job quizzes are neat too so you can see what your personality is suited for. I have been thinking I'd like to work for the Red Cross lately....bizarre eh?

scott J tyler said...

I think their is a book you can read. How to have your dream job in thirty days, or something like that. But your right about our generation. We are surrounded by so much choice and support that we are overwhelmed. From the time we could talk our parents and teachers have been telling us we could be what ever we wanted. That we should pursue our dreams. And that we should and can succeed in those dreams. The problem is that we spend our young adult life attempting to pin point our dream, but we never really go for anything because we are afraid that we wont like it, or worse, that we will fail.

In my experience (not that I've "got it" by any means) it took necessity for me to realize what I wanted to do. I needed Carter to come along and force me into a decision. And if what I have decided doesn't work . . . well, Linz and I will cross that bridge when we come to it.

By the way, we miss you guys down here.

The Hendriks Three said...

hey lauren-
can i get your new address?